25 Jul Not using Google Plus? Here’s 10 reasons why you should be.
In the world of social media, people are still waiting to enter the realm of Google Plus; opting to hold out with a ‘wait and see’ strategy. They make the point of the low numbers of people using Google+ compared to Facebook and Twitter. What they don’t understand is how the nature of using Google Plus can improve your SEO results.
In this blog, we’ll be giving you ten ways that Google Plus can improve your SEO:
- Google+ content is treated by Google the same as any other page on the web. This content, regardless of what it contains, is more product advertisement and reach for yourself and your company. All pages will be indexed by Google, they will gain page rank and appear in Google’s search results. With two thirds of searches in the U.S. taking place on Google, you’re going to want your content indexed and searchable.
- Your Google Plus posts allow you capture SERP real estate as they appear on Google search page results. Therefore opening your brand to a whole new audience who may find your Google Plus content through a standard Google search.
- Google Plus content sticks around, gains page ranking, gives out page ranking and appears in search results for a long period of time. It appears that Google Plus posts can retain ranking indefinitely. Some posts over a year old are still top of search result pages! Compare this to the 14 minutes of life a standard tweet is estimated to have.
- Google+ authorship provides you with a higher visual prowess and profile in search results. By validating that your Google Plus profile is genuine, websites where you publish content will be enabled with your image to appear next to the search results. This would also attract greater visual attention on search pages.
- The use of Google authorship is closely linked to content authority. Google is keen to give a higher profile to authoritative content in search results as they see content with authorship more ‘trustworthy’. If an author posts content which is shared and+1’d, this will potentially lead to higher authority levels. There is growing evidence that Google+ authorship improves your authority and search performance.
- Google Plus authorship and social layer both provide a wide range of social signals that may improve the Social Media Optimisation of your content and SEO. This is not simply the number of followers, people in your circles or number of Plus Ones you may have. What appears to be far more important is the activity of interaction between you and your content and others of a high authority. Thus, if a high authority figure on Google+ shares your content, this will improve your own authority.
- Social signals from platforms such as Google Plus will become more important in determining search results relevance. Social signals provide a much better way of filtering out the ‘noise’ and improving the quality of your search results. This is a trend that will continue as it is a much better way of understanding what people really want. Which is one of Google’s founding principles.
- The featured link in a Google Plus post will grant page rank to the page to which it links. If you connect a Google Plus page to your website, this will greatly increase the relevancy of your website. As well as its content and the support your search ranking’s receive.
- Links from regular websites to Google Plus content can also grant page rank authority in the other direction, back to your Google Plus posts and pages.
- Finally, using hashtags in Google Plus posts connects every post to a search on the platform.